How to install Xtra PC Pro?
Xtra PC Pro Review Xtra-PC claim that it can boost your computer speeds and make old slow computers to run fast as a new computer, saving you the money investing on a new computer, on our honest Xtra PC review will look into Xtra PC Feathers, Advantages and disadvantages and most importantly does it work and is it worth buying.
Xtra-PC transforms your outdated PCs into highly useful, high performance computers. Xtra-PC is simple to install, giving you a usable PC within minutes. You don’t have to be a computer expert to use it: you just load the DVD that contains the Xtra-PC software.
Xtra-PC permanently installs on the hard drive, overriding the hard drive and eliminating any old files, giving you a completely new computer with an operating system built on the foundation of Linux. OpenOffice, media player software, and image software are included.
Wi-Fi and printers are easy to configure using Xtra-PC, and your new Xtra-PC screen looks and acts like other computers you’re used to, making it very simple to use. Xtra-PC also eliminates those annoying pop-ups and warnings that interrupt your work.
What is an Xtra PC?
Xtra-PC is a flash drive stick that one inserts into a USB port on a personal computer. Xtra-pc is built by the Linux Foundation to surpass the old and slow windows operating system. The main reason for creating this device is to make your computer blazing fast, high performance boosted with the new, simple operating system with a great interface.
One can still use it even with faulty hard drives without any problem at all. From the way the USB stick runs, the existing computer files are not altered, and one can still access everything from the device. The good news is that it is simple to use and handling it does not require training, you plug it into USB drive port, then you restart PC to boot into USB, and there you are good to go.
Why choose the Xtra-PC USB key?
I could look for tons of reasons to convince you, but let’s keep it simple. It’s a cheap alternative to bring your old laptop back to life. It allows you to save the hassle of having to buy a new one.
In this Xtra-PC review, let’s now see some advantages:
- The price of Xtra-PC is really competitive and accessible to all.
- You can connect it to any laptop that has a USB port.
- With a single tap, it started working.
- Your laptop is like new. It regains its original speed, like a new youth. It is perfect for boosting your PC.
- You save yourself the trouble of viruses and malware.
- It works even without a hard drive.
- It secured your online privacy from hackers.
You will be using the Linux USB operating system and not Mac or Windows. You can see it as a disadvantage if you want. I see it as an opportunity to be intellectually stimulated by using a medium that I am not used to.
How to install Xtra PC Pro?
NOTE: All applications are installed directly to the Xtra-PC USB device and not to any of your existing internal HDDs or other storage.
- Plug the Xtra-PC USB device into a USB port on your computer
- Ensure that Secure Boot is disabled in your computer’s BIOS/UEFI
- Restart (reboot) your computer or restart to Xtra-PC directly from Windows (Restarting to Xtra-PC from Windows) .
- When the computer restarts and you see the initial start-up screen for your computer, start tapping the boot menu key for your computer.
- When the boot menu appears, select the USB to boot to the Xtra-PC device.
- After it boots to the Xtra-PC USB device, you will be prompted to enter a password for the administrator account, and once you agree to the terms of the license agreement, check the box. Then click on “OK.” If you do not want to proceed, click on “Quit” and your computer will shut down.
- A few moments after clicking “OK,” you will get the Xtra-PC login screen. Log in with the username “administrator” and the password you entered on the previous screen.
- After logging in, you will see a welcome screen:
- Click the “Next” button. You will see the Additional Information and EULA License Terms window. Click the box to agree to the EULA terms and then click “Next” to go to the Internet Connection window
- You must connect to your network for the installation to continue. You can either connect to your wireless network or your wired network. We don’t recommend that you do both at the same time
To connect to your wired network, follow these steps:
- Plug your network cable into the network port on your computer.
- Xtra-PC will detect the connection and will connect to your network. You’ll know it’s connected to your network when a message pops up saying that you’re now connected. Also, the icon of the two computer monitors in the bottom right corner will change to an icon showing two arrows.
To connect to your wireless network, follow these steps:
- Left click on the icon of the two computer monitors in the bottom right corner
- A menu will come up; about halfway down the menu, you will see a list of detected wireless networks. Left click on your network. If you don’t see your wireless network, then you might have wireless turned off on your computer hardware. This will be a button on your keyboard or a switch or button on the side of your computer that looks like this: If it’s turned off (usually indicated by an orange light), turn it on (usually indicated by a blue light.) Then wait about thirty seconds and recheck the list of available wireless networks to see if your network now appears.
- A screen will come up asking for a password. Enter your wireless password and left click on “Connect”:
- Once you are connected to your network, click “Next”.
- Click “Install” to begin the install
- During the install process, you will be prompted to agree to a Microsoft TrueType core fonts EULA. If you want to install Microsoft TrueType core fonts, click on “Yes, I agree”. If you do not want to install Microsoft TrueType core fonts, click on “No, I do not agree”. Microsoft TrueType core fonts are Andale Mono, Arial, Arial Black, Comic Sans MS, Courier New, Georgia, Impact, Times New Roman, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Webdings.
- You will get confirmation that the install completed.
How to Install Xtra-PC on a Mac
To boot your Xtra-PC on a Mac computer, please do the following:
- Plug your Xtra-PC USB drive into an available USB port on your Mac computer.
- Restart your Mac by clicking on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner and then selecting “Restart”.
- When you hear the startup chime, press and hold the Option key.
- Release the Option key when you see the Startup Manager window.
- Select your startup disk, then click the arrow under its icon, or press Return. Note: In the Startup Manager, the Xtra-PC drive will show up as either “EFI Boot” or sometimes it’s called “Windows”. It just depends on the firmware version of your Mac hardware in how it displays exactly. Note: We have seen that Macs made before 2011, may not boot to a USB drive. You won’t even seen an option on the Startup manager to select any usb drives. So, if that is the case for you, I would consult the documentation provided with your Mac on how to boot to a USB drive.
Video demonstration of how to boot your Mac computer to Xtra-PC. In this particular demonstration, I am using a MacBook Air 2021.
Using your Xtra-PC
Do not remove the Xtra-PC USB device from your computer while it is running. Before removing, shut down Xtra-PC (Start -> Shutdown). Once the computer is shut down, the Xtra-PC USB device can be removed and used on another computer.
This is the tool that allows you to manage all of your files such as documents, photos, spreadsheets, and more. For example, it can be used for reading and writing to USB sticks and pulling photos off of your phone. To open File Manager, left click on the Start menu (the blue X in the lower left corner), then go to “File Manager.”
An example of using File Manager would be accessing a USB drive that has your existing photos and documents on it. To do this, you would need to follow these steps:
- Insert your USB stick into an available USB port on your computer.
- You’ll see a window that says “Removable medium is inserted.” Select “Open in File Manager” by clicking on it.
- Click on the “OK” button. This will open File Manager, and you’ll now see the files on your USB stick
Xtra-PC has LibreOffice installed on it for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more.
To use LibreOffice, double-click on the LibreOffice desktop shortcut. Or you can left click on the Start menu (the blue X in the lower left corner), then go to “Office,” then “LibreOffice.”
To set up your email, double-click on the Email desktop shortcut. Or you can left click on the Start menu (the blue X in the lower left corner), then go to “Internet and Email,” then “Thunderbird Mail.” A Thunderbird window will come up and prompt you to set up your email. Once you’ve done this, your email will be ready to use.
Facebook, Pandora, and Pinterest apps
For your convenience, desktop shortcuts for these commonly used apps were created for you. To use any of these apps, simply double-click on the desktop shortcut of the app you want to use. Or you can access them through the Firefox web browser.
Xtra-PC uses the Firefox web browser for internet access. To use Firefox, click on the Firefox Web Browser
shortcut on your desktop, or go to the Start menu (the blue X in the lower left corner), then go to “Internet and Email,” then “Firefox Web Browser.”
To use Google Store, Google Docs, Google Drive, and other Google apps, click on the Firefox Web Browser shortcut on your desktop, or go to the Start menu (the blue X in the lower left corner), then go to “Internet and Email,” then “Firefox Web Browser.” Type https://accounts.google.com into the address or URL bar at the top of your screen. This will take you to the log-in screen for your Google account.
Music and MP3 Player
To play music CDs, MP3s and other audio formats, go to the Start menu (the blue X in the lower left corner), then “Media,” then “Rhythmbox.” A screen labelled “Rythmbox” will come up; either plug in a music CD or access your MP3s and other audio files from your removable device or wherever you have them stored. Once you’ve done this, you can listen to your music.
Kindle Cloud Reader
To access your Kindle eBooks, double-click on the Kindle Cloud Reader desktop shortcut. You’ll be prompted to enter your Amazon account email address and password. Once you’ve signed in, your Kindle eBooks will be available to you.
To view any photos you have on your Xtra-PC, simply launch the Photo Viewer by going to the Start menu (the blue X in the lower left corner), then “Graphics,” then “Photo Viewer.” A window named “Mirage” will open. To view your photos, use the File menu.
To run your photos as a continuous slide show, open “Photo Viewer” as just described. Then go to “Edit” on the top toolbar, then “Preferences…,” then to the “Navigation” tab. Change “wrap around imagelist” to “Yes.” Then click on the Close button, then go to “Go” in the top toolbar, then “Start Slideshow.”
Xtra PC Settings
You can customize the look and feel of your Xtra-PC by using the tools under the Local Administration Menu.
To add a printer for use in Xtra-PC, go to the Start menu (the blue X in the lower left corner), then “Local
Administration,” then “Printers,” then “Printer Manager.” In Printer Manager, click on “Add,” then follow the prompts to add your printer. Your printer will then be ready to use.
Xtra-PC comes with a couple tools that can be used to gather information about your computer or run the initial install wizard again. To use one of these tools, go to the Start menu (the blue X in the lower left corner), then “Local Administration,” then “Useful Tools.”
Which Are the Alternatives?
To be honest we couldn’t really find valid alternatives to Xtra-PC. We found only the Ubuntu Linux 14.04 Bootable 8 GB USB Flash Drive, but it isn’t even comparable with Xtra-PC, because it’s a bare bones Ubuntu Linux operating system on a USB thumb, without any software on it. The basic Xtra-PC is 16 GB and comes with all the software installed.
Considering that Linux is a free open-source operating system, at the end the only real alternative, is to make your own “Xtra-PC”, but unless you’re very tech-savvy, it’s gonna be time-consuming with the risk to fail and than have to bring your PC to a computer repair shop.
Xtra-PC starting price is $34.99, so we don’t think is even worth to try.
How to buy Xtra-PC?
Order this device through the manufacturer’s official website. They are giving new customers discounts of up to 40%. Check out their homepage today.
One can also conveniently buy the device online from Amazon or any electronic store close to you. The product has different payment methods and variety to choose from depending on the customer’s preference.
Last Updated on July 22, 2021 by Mark